"Classics Rock! is the best of both worlds--music and books."
-- CNBC.com "Bullish on Books" blog

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Wuthering Heights/Kate Bush



Kate Bush's debut single, from her 1978 album The Kick Inside, is based on Emily Brontë's classic 1847 novel Wuthering Heights, and features specific references to the book's main characters, Heathcliff and Catherine. There is a spooky aspect to the song, as it seems to depict the dead Catherine returning as a spectre, pleading at Heathcliff's window to be admitted to the house (Heathcliff, it's me, I'm Cathy, I've come home/I'm so cold, let me in...). A similar scene occurs early in the novel, before the main story is told via flashbacks. Bush re-recorded the song for a greatest hits album, The Whole Story (1986).




No comments:

Post a Comment